Reasons for Being Excused from Jury Service
You can only be excused from jury duty for:
- Medical reasons
- Public necessity
- Undue hardship
- Dependent care
- Student Status
- Military conflict
- Other reason deemed sufficient by the court
- If you have a temporary medical condition preventing you from serving now, please request postponement.
- You need to submit a letter from your healthcare provider stating due to a medical condition you are unable to serve if you are requesting excusal rather than postponement of your service.
- Without a doctor’s letter your request to be excused for a medical condition will not be considered. Please note, the court does not keep past medical certificates or letters on file.
- If you are at high risk or living in a household with someone at high risk for COVID-19, you may request postponement.
Employment Conflict or a Financial Hardship Excuses
- You need to submit a letter from your employer on their letterhead, stating they cannot release you from your duties at this time.
- Submit a letter they do not compensate you for jury duty and it would be a financial hardship for you.
- The letter should be signed by you and your employer.
- If you are a business owner please provide excusal letter on your company letterhead, provide a copy of your business license or business card along with excusal letter.
- First responders can send an email from their work email requesting to be excused for work reasons.
- Currently a full time student
- Students must submit current school schedule or admission paperwork with name printed on it to our office.
- Jury duty within the past year
- Will require an attendance sheet to verify jury service.
- Lack of child or dependent care
- Court may postpone jury service to another term.
- Military duty - may also be a valid reason to ask to be excused from jury duty
- Will require a letter from superior.
- Under the age of 18
-Requests to be excused or postponed-
All Excusals or Requests for postponement may be sent, emailed or faxed to our office (please attach any supporting documentation for your request):
929 E Main, Suite 120
Puyallup, WA 98372
Online form: Contact the Court
Not Qualified To Serve As a Juror for Puyallup Municipal or Milton Municipal
- Felony Conviction and rights have not been restored
- Do not speak English
- Not a US Citizen
- No longer resident of Puyallup or resident of Milton
- Deceased - see FAQ’s for Jury Service