Van Lierop Park Master Planning
What is Van Lierop Park
In the East Valley area of the City, to the east of Shaw Road and north of Pioneer Avenue are 18 acres of land purchased by the City in 2015. This area is one of the few remaining areas within the City that could be developed into a community park with space to potentially include multiple sports fields.
The Master Planning process (currently underway) will explore which recreational opportunities will best fit the location and the community.
The Master Planning processestablishes the framework within which smaller projects (phases) can be designed, funded and constructed. Working with the community and stakeholders, staff and the consultant team MIG-SVR will draft the Puyallup Community’s desired program for the park, establish priority elements and recommend a phasing approach.
Phase 1 Design
With the master planning process moves into the permitting stage design of Phase 1 is beginning. Construction of Phase 1 is projected for 2018-2019 pending confirmation of project funding in the 2018 budget process.
The graphics below show the Phase 1 elements of the Van Lierop Park. Maintaining the view corridor through the project site and highlight the view of Mount Rainier has remained a focus of the site layout.
Public Participation Helped Guide Programming Phase
Open houses held in March and April 2017 welcomed great turnout crowds. The public was asked to share their ideas on the type of programming and activities that should be included at the VLP location. Once initial feedback was synthesized, the public then provided feedback on two resulting design options (shown below) created from their initial input In addition to the open houses, feedback was gathered through online surveys, focus groups, and input from City Council.
Project Status Updates
- November 1, 2017 - Programming and phasing plans for VLP has been progressing well. Work is now underway to develop studies and reports which will support the SEPA process. Once SEPA is complete, the Council will be asked to review and consider adopting the overall master phasing plan for Van Lierop Park. View the draft phasing plan.
- October 4, 2017 - Planning of the Van Lierop Park overall layout and programming content has been underway since public input and Council direction during the summer. The park's master plan is currently being developed and consideration for phasing of the various park amenities based on cost estimates and sequencing is helping determine how the overall park will come together. Next steps will be for the overall master plan to be submitted for permitting process (SEPA) which will consider environmental impacts, traffic, lighting considerations, and more.
- May 16, 2017 - Thank you to those who completing the second online survey these past few weeks. The survey is now closed. We will continue on plan design based on feedback received.
- April 28, 2017 - Thank you to all who attended the second Open House on April 27th. Two design options have been created based on feedback we've received. Next steps will be to determine public opinion on the best option and continue with programming decisions for the site.
- April 10, 2017 - Work is underway to develop conceptual plans using input gathered from the public at Open House #1, the online survey, and Council.
- March 9, 2017 - An Open house was held for the public to share their thoughts and vision of the future Van Lierop Park. If you were not able to attend, please share your thoughts with us by taking the online survey through March 26.
- February 27, 2017 - Presentation to Council on status of the project will be included at the February 28th Council Meeting. Open House scheduled for 03/09/2017. Online survey will be opened shortly thereafter to gain additional feedback from the public.
- February 8, 2017 - Focus groups are scheduled for February to gather input from local groups. An Open House date will be set for March and online survey will be added soon.
- January 2017 - Project kickoffs with City staff. Planning underway for public outreach and involvement
- December 2016 - Master Planning Consultant contract approved by Council
- August 2016 - Riverwalk Trail, Phase 6 named the "Ernie Bay Connector"
- June 2016 - Legislative Proviso grant awarded to City for design and construction of Riverwalk Trail, Phase 6
- December 2015 - Van Lierop property purchased by City to hold for future use